Skip to main content

Strange Weather in Tokyo - Hiromi Kawakami



Short summary of the book: A 40 year old woman acquaints herself with a 70 year old man, alcohol forms their relationship and they - awkwardly and formally - fall in love with each other.

I'm not doing any sort of review that explains the whole premise and plot etc, I'm just voicing my opinions. For this, I might as well add that there might be spoilers.

This - in my opinion - is a book for everyone, but majorly directed at middle-aged women who are hopeless romantics or still seeking love. 

I'd like to elaborate more on the summary I have given.

Awkward; because the air around them usually made me feel uncomfortable. They only built their relationship over alcohol. Tons and tons of alcohol. It didn't seem sincere enough regardless of the efforts put in to attempt sincerity. They also communicated formally with each other, had abrupt and aimless qualms in which the woman, Tsukiko, became irate and so had I. The age gap was nothing, seemed like nothing for the entirety of the book. Nothing brought about excitement, it was just a steady flow of a slowly forming relationship. The formalities while speaking to each other just couldn't resonate with me. Of course when you get closer to someone, especially in a relationship, formalities do wear off to some extent - or so I believe.  

It was similar to starting a relationship with someone lifeless or emotionless. 

I also could not for the life of me believe that many reviews had thought of this book as funny. Not in one bit had I laughed, and that's what makes me chuckle the most. It was awkward - yes. But in no way had I laughed - even in my head. Maybe my sense of humor wasn't resonating either.

However, it is a book for romantics. A quick read, steady flow and very atmospheric. It was encompassing in a way that you wanted more. Sweet and pondering for the most. Always pondering. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor E. Frankl

Short summary of the book: Viktor E. Frankl describes his journey for the struggle of survival in an Auschwitz concentration camp during the Holocaust as well as finding hope and greater meaning in our lives. I'm not doing any sort of review that explains the whole premise and plot etc; I'm just voicing my opinions. For this, I might as well add that there might be spoilers. There are over 10 pages that I bookmarked with quotes that I can carry through my life. This book did not teach me the actual meaning of life in the sense to find it, but in knowing that it exists. Through his autobiographical journey we are taken into the holocaust and his experiences in it. He was in a concentration camp in Auschwitz as well as doctoring those who fell ill and were dying. Through his experience I could really empathize with his feelings. In such unbearably dark times he found strength in spirit. I think just saying ‘strength in spirit’ is a bit weak to suffice how ...

Cry Me A Sad River (Movie)

Doesn't this look extremely dramatic? I absolutely love it. Short summary of the movie: A poor girl named Yi Yao is bullied to the extent where she cannot take it anymore.   I'm not doing any sort of review that explains the whole premise and plot etc, I'm just voicing my opinions. For this, I might as well add that  there might be spoilers. Yi Yao  This would definitely be on my top 10 list. I have rarely been on the edge of my seat for movies, but this movie did itself justice. It wasn't too depressing - there were moments of lightheartedness and warmth as well for a 'tragedy' genre  movie.  For the extremely soft-hearted it might be a tear-jerker but nothing came for me. What I will admit is that the movie made me experience many emotions and the beauty of it. You can feel and bond with the characters and what they endure. Bullying is a great way to show the seriousness of one's actions. Left to Right: Annoying bitch, even worse as...

A Million Little Pieces - James Frey

Short summary of the book: An extreme drug addict spends his time in a rehab center and slowly heals. I'm not doing any sort of review that explains the whole premise and plot etc, I'm just voicing my opinions. For this, I might as well add that  there might be spoilers. Finally , I've finished the book.  This is not to say in the least that it was bad; however if your story's setting is only one place - there's only so much you can tell.  The setting is a Rehabilitation Center for the addicted. James being one of them.  James - for me - was peculiar. What I'm trying to say is that I could never have guessed his age was 22. It sounded like years of addiction (which it was) but rustier. I've researched that the book is over-exaggerated for dramatic effect but overall it was a biography of some sort. I predicted false information from all the fights he initiated. The book read as a mid-thirties man. Regardless there were beautiful parts of the boo...